Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Get the Picture: Day 1

Hi everyone! Today was Day 1 of my Get the Picture adventure. My mom and I left Albuquerque around 8:30 this morning. We then drove two and a half hours to Gallup. I had found three photos that I knew were in Gallup before driving there, but first, we went to the visitor's center to get a new map of New Mexico (ours is from 1988...) and also a map of Gallup. We went to the visitor's center and got the things we needed and then walked to the location of one of our photos. While walking back to the car, right across from the visitors center, I spotted a building that looked familiar out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head and realized that it was another picture! I ended up successfully taking four pictures in Gallup! Something to know before visiting Gallup: there are no parks... anywhere. We were looking for a place to eat the lunch we had packed but there were no parks! We ended up eating our lunch in the parking lot of the visitors center instead.


Next stop: the famous Ship Rock! In travel guides, it says you can see Ship Rock from 40 miles away. Hard to believe, right? I wasn't expecting to see any part of Ship Rock until we got really close, but boy was I wrong. We spotted Ship Rock from a whopping 50 miles away! There were three other rock formations on the way to Ship Rock, all of which were amazing, but Ship Rock itself was amazing. It was so gorgeous! I was completely amazing by what mother nature can do! We drove through Shiprock (the city named after the rock itself) on the way to Farmington and it was incredibly depressing. Since it's on Navajo Indian Reservation land, the government gives them houses that are basically garbage. They are not very organized at all. They don't even have real neighborhoods. Their 'neighborhoods' are kind of like trailer parks except they are filled with small one story houses that are just garbage in my opinion. It was incredibly depressing.


After we got through the depressing lands of Shiprock, we arrived in beautiful Farmington. I knew that there were two picture in Farmington but I had no idea where either of them were. I decided that we would first go to the visitor's center to see if that knew anything about either one. I wasn't really expecting to find either of those picture and I wasn't expecting the visitor's center to know anything about them. To my surprise, the visitor's center knew everything about them! Plus, they knew where a third picture in Farmington was! All three of them were within a mile of each other on the same road! I was very pleased with what I accomplished today. My goal was to take 4 pictures; three in Gallup and one of Ship Rock, but instead I took 8 pictures today!


Tomorrow I'm heading out to the Aztec ruins just for fun and then on to Chama for another picture. Next, I'll head to Tierra Amarilla, then to Abiquiu. I'll finish my day by heading out to Ojo Caliente and soaking in the AMAZING springs! I'm sooo excited! Another blog will be posted tomorrow and maybe some photos too!!


Love you!!
Tauby

No comments:

Post a Comment